Classic Meatloaf is beef and mild sausage seasoned with vegetables, garlic and spices that’s an easy, kid-approved family favorite.
I still remember the first time I made a classic meatloaf. It was a mess of overcooked, dry tasteless meat. Even the dogs ran when I tried to hide the evidence by feeding it to them.
Over the years I’ve improved my technique and recipe resulting in this no-fail meatloaf that comes out perfect every time.
HOW TO MAKE CLASSIC MEATLOAF
- Give your meatloaf a great start by sauteing up some minced garlic and chopped green onion and celery.
- To a large mixing bowl add the beef, sausage, saute’d vegetables, bread crumbs, milk, eggs, chili sauce, salt and pepper. Mix everything lightly together using a fork.
- Pile the meat mixture into a baking dish and form it into a loaf. Or whatever shape you are going for. You’re the boss! Then pour the rest of the chili sauce over the top and spread it out. Pile on the potatoes around the meatloaf if you are making them. As the meatloaf cooks, they will absorb the flavors from the drippings..yum!
- Bake your metlaof in the oven for 60 – 70 minutes, or until a meat thermometer inserted in the center reaches 160°F. Remove the pan from the oven and cool on the counter for a few minutes before serving.
The smell of the garlic cooking in a little butter is what I’d call magical. That smell can turn your whole day around…not to mention get your mouth watering!
I used to use my hands to mix meatloaf. I felt guilty if I didn’t because my grandma always mixed it that way and gran was always right! Anyway someone finally told me that all my squashing and squeezing and taking out my aggression on that bowl of meat was making it tough. You know the old saying “a cook’s best tools are a clean pair of hands “…well, not for meatloaf.
For lots of added flavor drizzle chili sauce over the top before baking. It’s not as sweet as ketchup and adds lots of zesty flavor to every bite.
MORE EASY BEEF RECIPE IDEAS
- One Pot Mexican Beef and Potatoes
- One Pot Beef Stroganoff
- Slow Cooker Beef Taco Stack
- Easy Skillet Meatballs
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 pound mild Italian sausage
- 1 stalk celery small chopped
- 3 medium green onions sliced using white and green
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 12 ounce chili sauce divided
- 3 large potatoes cut into 8 wedges each
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, melt butter until frothy. Add celery,green onion and garlic to the butter and cook until the celery is softened and garlic is golden, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine using a fork, the beef, sausage, bread crumbs, milk, salt, pepper, celery mixture and 3/4 cup of chili sauce.
- Transfer mixture to a 9 x 12 baking dish. Form meat mixture into a loaf. Top with the remaining chili sauce, spreading evenly to cover. Place potatoes around the loaf, cut sides down.
- Bake for 60 – 70 minutes, or until meat thermometer inserted in center reaches 160°F.
- If making potatoes, baste potatoes with drippings halfway thru cooking time.
© Copyright Christine Mello for Must Love Home. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.