Classic Meatloaf – All seasoned and sauced up, this Southern meatloaf recipe uses celery, green onions, a bit of garlic and chili sauce for incredible flavor. This no-fail, kid approved recipe is sure to become a family favorite.
I still remember the first time I made meatloaf. It was a mess of overcooked, dry tasteless meat. Even the dogs ran when I tried to hide the evidence by feeding it to them.
Give your meatloaf a great start by sauteing up some minced garlic and chopped green onion and celery.
The smell of them cooking in a little butter is just magical. Glade should make this into an air freshener scent!
Add the beef, sausage, saute’d vegetables, bread crumbs, milk, eggs, chili sauce, salt and pepper to a mixing bowl. Mix lightly using a fork. Say what? I used to use my hands…I felt compelled to use them because my grandma did and gran was always right!….anyway someone whispered in my ear that all my squashing and squeezing and getting out my aggressions on that helpless bowl of meat was making it tough. You know the old saying “a cook’s best tools are a clean pair of hands “…well, not for meatloaf.
Pile the meat mixture into a baking dish and form it into a loaf. Or whatever shape you are going for. You are the boss! Then pour the rest of the chili sauce over the top and spread it out. Pile on the potatoes around the meatloaf if you are making them. As the meatloaf cooks, they will absorb the flavors from the drippings..yum!
Look how pretty this turned out!
Here’s the handy printable recipe.Print
All seasoned and sauced up, this Southern meatloaf recipe uses celery, green onions, a bit of garlic and chili sauce for incredible flavor. This no-fail, kid approved recipe is sure to become a family favorite.
- 1-1/2 pounds 80% Ground Beef
- 1 pound mild Italian sausage
- 1 stalk celery, small chopped
- 3 green onions, sliced using white and green
- 1 TBSP minced garlic
- 1 TBSP unsalted butter
- 1 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 3 whole eggs
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 12 ounce bottle chili sauce, divided
- 3 Yukon Gold Potatoes, cut into 8 wedges each (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, melt butter until frothy.
- Add celery,green onion and garlic to the butter and cook until the celery is softened and garlic is golden, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine using a fork, the beef, sausage, bread crumbs, milk, salt, pepper, celery mixture and 3/4 cup of chili sauce.
- In a 9 x 12 baking dish, form the meat mixture into a loaf. Top with the remaining chili sauce, spreading evenly to cover.
- Place potatoes around the loaf, cut sides down.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 60 – 70 minutes, or until meat thermometer inserted in center reaches 165 degrees.
- If making potatoes, baste potatoes with drippings halfway thru cooking time.
- Transfer the meatloaf to a serving platter, and slice to serve.
Whole milk may be substituted for 2%.
Let me know what you think of this recipe in the comments below, on Facebook and Google + or find me on Instagram . Thanks so much for stopping by my blog today!
[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_single_image image=”17741″ img_size=”900×200″][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_separator color=”turquoise”][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_cta h2=”” txt_align=”center” style=”outline” color=”white” add_button=”right” btn_title=”Subscribe” btn_color=”info” btn_size=”sm” btn_i_icon_fontawesome=”fa fa-check” add_icon=”left” btn_add_icon=”true” i_on_border=”true” btn_link=”url:http%3A%2F%2Fmadmimi.com%2Fsignups%2F310168%2Fjoin||target:%20_blank|”]
BECOME AN INSIDER
Get Must Love Home’s new posts sent straight to your inbox! You will get new recipes, weekly menus, holiday ideas and tips you don’t want to miss![/vc_cta][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_separator color=”turquoise”][/vc_column][/vc_row]