Chicken Cordon Bleu Penne Pasta is a delicious take on the old French Classic! Chicken,Ham, Swiss Cheese and Dijon combine with Penne pasta to give an updated twist to this yummy dish! A great one-dish meal that is ready in less than 30 minutes.
What could be better than pasta, loaded with chicken and ham and smothered with melting cheese? How about serving this dish in less that 30 minutes from start to finish with only a single pot! Chicken Cordon Bleu Penne Pasta is a quick and easy take on the traditional chicken recipe. The dash of dijon mustard gives this flavorful dish authentic flavor.
Warm and satisfying this is an amazing cool weather dish, but it is so easy and delicious you will want this recipe in your rotation all year long!
Reasons to love this Chicken Cordon Bleu Penne Pasta recipe:
- Easy and delicious dish using simple ingredients
- Chicken chunks cook right in the broth to add incredible flavor
- Hot and on the table in under 30 minutes
- Great for weekdays, fancy enough for company
- Perfect for using up leftovers
Looking for more quick and easy 30 minute dinner recipes? Check out my collection here:
- Pan Roasted Chicken Thighs with Garlic Thyme Butter – pan seared and dripping with butter
- Italian Sausage Bean and Tomato Bake – so much more than a can of beans
- Smokey Lemon Chicken Piccata – amazing flavor served with pasta and lemon
- Sweet and Soy Chicken – sporting an addictive sticky glaze
- Chipotle Sausage and Bean Bake – take the heat up a notch with chipotle puree
This dish could not be simpler to make. First, in a large Dutch oven or heavy saucepan bring the broth and chicken cubes to a boil. Add in the pasta and cook until desired tenderness, about 10-13 minutes. Most of the broth should be absorbed by the pasta and the chicken cooked thru. Do not drain the pasta!
Add the rest of the ingredients to the pot and stir. Continue stirring until the cheeses are melted and the ham is heated thru.
Tips and Hints for making the best Chicken Cordon Bleu Penne Pasta recipe:
- Use Penne pasta or a similarly thick noodle that will withstand being stirred with chunks of meat and melting cheese.
- Start with quality meat – use organic chicken breasts if possible
- I always say this, but the best results start with quality ingredients, so use the best you can afford.
Essential Tools and Ingredients to make Chicken Cordon Bleu Penne Pasta:
- Dutch Oven or deep pot – I love my Dutch oven. There are several styles to choose from but I prefer ceramic coated cast-iron. It can safely go from the stove top to the oven, and is perfect for braising meats, cooking soup, baking bread and slow-cooking roasts.
Here is the handy printable recipe. Enjoy!
Chicken Cordon Bleu Penne Pasta is a delicious take on the old French Classic! Chicken,Ham, Swiss Cheese and Dijon combine with penne pasta to give an updated twist to this yummy dish! A great one-dish meal that is ready in less than 30 minutes.
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 8 oz penne pasta
- 8 ounce chicken breast, cut into bite-sized cubes
- 6 ounce low-fat Swiss cheese, shredded
- 2 ounces sliced ham, sliced into bite size pieces
- 2 ounce reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, place the chicken broth and chicken breast cubes. Bring the broth to a boil.
- Add the penne pasta to the boiling broth and cook until desired tenderness, about 10-13 minutes. Most of the broth should be absorbed by the pasta. DO NOT DRAIN.
- Remove the pot from the heat. Add the cream cheese, Swiss cheese, ham and dijon mustard to the pot. Stir to combine until the cheeses have melted and ham is heated thru.
- Plate and serve..
While I prefer to make this dish using low sodium broth and reduced fat cheeses, regular broth and full-fat cheeses can be substituted in their place.
If the sauce is too thick or you prefer a creamier sauce, add milk a tablespoon at a time to thin it out.
Post updated March 2018