Creamy rich and velvety smooth, this cocoa powder based 10 Minute Homemade Chocolate Sauce adds the right finishing touch to any ice cream sundae. Served hot or cold, this old family recipe chocolate sauce will have your dessert lovers begging for more!
Folks, this is the real deal. Homemade Chocolate Sauce made the old fashioned way with butter and cocoa. This sauce is rich and smooth, with none of the grainy texture that some other recipes have. Try it on ice cream, cake or as a fruit dip! Enjoy!
Reasons to love this Homemade Chocolate Sauce recipe:
- It is easy to make and ready to eat in about 20 minutes!
- Family-friendly recipe – kids love it!
- Budget -friendly and leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for 7 days
- Recipe can be easily doubled or tripled depending on your needs
Butter makes everything better! I used unsalted butter for this recipe.
The chocolate sauce is best eaten warm. Hot fudge anyone? It will thicken as it cools but you should still be able to pour it on your ice cream right from the fridge.
If you love ice cream, you might enjoy these frozen desserts:
Frozen Lemon Blueberry Cheesecake Pie – It will have you at cheescake!
No Churn Peanut Butter Ice Cream – ice cream parlor flavor made in your freezer
Strawberry Gelato – summer like an Italian
Fresh Homemade Pineapple Sauce – tastes like up-side down cake!
Dress the sauce up or down. Make it fancy by adding walnuts and chocolate sprinkles! YUM!
Helpful Tools and Ingredients:
- Long Handled Measuring Spoons – similar to what I use, these long handled spoons are great for reaching into slim spice jars when measuring. Accurate and high quality too!
- High Quality Ice Cream Scoop – I found these after searching for a scoop that would not break after a few uses. Different sizes are great for scooping ice cream, muffins and cookies.
Rich Creamy Homemade Chocolate Sauce
Creamy rich and velvety smooth, this cocoa powder based Homemade Chocolate Sauce adds the right finishing touch to any ice cream sundae. Served hot or cold, this old family recipe chocolate sauce will have your dessert lovers begging for more!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 2 cups
- Category: Condiment
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- 1/2 cup half and half or evaporated milk
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- In a small bowl, mix cocoa powder and sugar. Set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan, heat milk, butter and corn syrup over medium heat until butter is melted.
- Over medium heat, whisk 1/2 of the dry ingredients into the milk mixture until smooth. Repeat with the remaining 1/2 of the dry ingredients.
- Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer, stirring constantly for 1-1/2 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Serve warm or store in refrigerator in a tightly covered container for up to 7 days.
For this recipe I used regular half and half and dark cocoa powder.
Keywords: chocolate,sauce,ice cream,topping