Lime Jalapeno Poppers
Cream Cheese is the rich, smooth filling for these spicy Lime Jalapeno Poppers! These favorites are baked rather than deep fried. You’ll want to pop them down one after another. A Cinco De Mayo classic!
Jalapeno Poppers are one of the most popular appetizers around. Recently, there was even a southern version on Food Network where the popper was filled with pimento cheese!! It is funny but I remember a time when Jalapeno Poppers were considered kind of exotic. I had my first popper at a restaurant when my husband and I were first dating. They were deep fried, served with a raspberry jam dipping sauce, and it was really love at first bite! This version is so much healthier and the only way I make them now, but sometimes I still crave that gooey pocket of cream cheese inside a deep fried popper.
To make them is super easy. Just half each of the peppers, scraping out the seeds. (I like to leave the stem on to make them easier to hold and I just think they look cool with the stems still attached). Then fill each of the halves with a simple mixture of cream cheese, salt, pepper and lime juice. Top with a sprinkle of lime zest and put in a 400 F oven until the Jalapeno is soft and the cheese is browned. Enjoy!
It really does not get much easier than these Lime Jalapeno Poppers. These hot little bites are oven baked, and are filled with simple lime flavored cream cheese. At about 50 calories each, they pack in a lot of flavor. If you want to make these with low-fat cream cheese they are still delicious and about 1/3 less calories. Calorie counting is something I think about now so I am passing it on.
Cream Cheese is the rich, smooth filling for these spicy Lime Jalapeno Poppers! These favorites are baked rather than deep fried. You'll want to pop them down one after another. A Cinco De Mayo classic!
- 8 Jalapeno Peppers
- 1 cream cheese block (8 oz), room temperature
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400F
- Slice in half lengthwise and remove the seeds from the jalapenos.
- In a small bowl, mix the cream cheese with lime juice, salt and pepper until blended.
- Fill each of the jalapeno halves with the cream cheese mixture. Sprinkle each pepper with lime zest.
- Bake on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray for 15-20 minutes, until the jalapeno pepper is softened and the cream cheese is golden brown on top,
- Remove from the oven and serve warm.
1. Use only fresh lime juice 2.Reduced fat cream cheese may be substituted for the cream cheese.