Citrus and spicy, with a hint of honey, these Cajun Honey Lime Chicken Wings may change the way you flavor your wings forever. The wings are oven baked and basted with an amazing sauce that will make these wings a crowd favorite.
Chicken wings are a real hands down favorite at our house. There are men living here so whether it is for tailgating, holidays or just a casual get-together, chicken wings are my go-to appetizer. And my guys always want the wings with a little heat, like the traditional Buffalo Wings or the kind that can make you break out into a sweat like my Fiery Asian Chicken Wings!
For a new variation on my classic wings, I decided to use Cajun Seasoning and Lime. The Cajun Honey Lime Chicken Wings are rubbed with a Cajun spice mix and lime juice is added to the basting sauce. A final sprinkle of lime zest before serving adds more tart lime flavor and a delicious citrus aroma to the wings. This was the first time I have made wings this way and oh my, they were so good. Lime is my new superhero!
**Note – to make life easier, you might want to invest in a good zester. My zester is from Microplane. I have had it for years and use it all the time to zest fruit, and to shave chocolate and parmesan. It’s really a handy little tool to have:)
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE CAJUN LIME CHICKEN WINGS
- 3 pounds chicken wings
- 1/3 cup Cajun seasoning (**see note below)
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- 2 TBSP Honey
- 1 TBSP Sriracha sauce
- 1 fresh lime
**Note – according to the comments and emails I have received, there are a lot of differences in the Cajun Seasonings on the market. Many contain a large amount of salt, resulting in very salty chicken wings. I recommend using Tones Brand Cajun Seasoning for this recipe. Salt is not listed as the top ingredient. I have also included my Homemade Cajun Seasoning recipe below that has reduced salt, or you could just omit the salt completely and salt the wings after cooking to taste.
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE CAJUN SEASONING
Mix all of the ingredients in a small bowl. Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
- 6 TBSP Paprika
- 3 TBSP garlic powder
- 2 TBSP onion powder
- 1 TBSP salt (Kosher if you have it)
- 1 TBSP ground black pepper
- 1 TBSP dried thyme
- 1 TBSP cayenne
To get started preheat your oven to 350°F. Spray two half-sheet size baking sheets with cooking spray ( if you have a larger sheet pan you may be able to get away with one). Place chicken wings on baking sheet in a single layer, without crowding. Sprinkle each wing liberally (and I really mean liberally) with Cajun seasoning. Place in the oven and bake on middle rack of the oven for 30 minutes.
While the chicken is baking (are you starting to smell the deliciousness yet?) begin preparing the basting sauce. To make the sauce – add the BBQ Sauce, Honey, Sriracha and the juice from 1/2 of the lime to a small bowl. Stir until blended. Set aside. I know…it was too easy!
IMPORTANT TIP – Zest the lime before cutting it. Zest the entire lime. You should have enough for the recipe and to garnish. THEN cut the lime in half and juice half of the lime. Set aside the other half for later.
After 30 minutes, remove the chicken from the oven and baste with 1/2 of the prepared sauce using a basting brush. Return the chicken to the oven and bake for another 10 minutes. Then remove the chicken from the oven and baste again with the remaining 1/2 of the basting sauce. Return to the oven for a final, agonizing 10 minutes to complete cooking and to caramelize the basting sauce on the wings.
Transfer the chicken to a serving tray. Squeeze the juice from remaining 1/2 of lime over the wings and sprinkle the wings with the lime zest. Serve hot!
To make this into an easy meal, I threw a baking sheet full of Garlic Matchstick Fries into the oven to cook alongside the wings. The potatoes were done but not browned after 50 minutes in the 350°F oven. To crisp them up, I browned the fries under the broiler once the wings were done. They turned out really crispy…and who doesn’t like fries?
Cajun Honey Lime Chicken Wings
- 3 pounds chicken wings about 32 wing sections
- 1/3 cup Cajun seasoning
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp sriracha
- 1 medium lime zest and juiced
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray baking sheets with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place chicken wings on baking sheet in a single layer, without crowding. Sprinkle each wing liberally with Cajun seasoning.
- Bake on middle rack of oven for 30 minutes.
- Zest and juice the lime. Set aside.
- While the chicken is baking prepare the basting sauce. In a small bowl, mix 1 tablespoon lime zest, 1 tablespoon lime juice, barbecue sauce, honey and sriracha. Stir until blended. Set aside.
- .After 30 minutes, remove chicken from the oven and baste with 1/2 of the prepared sauce. Return the chicken to the oven and continue cooking 10 minutes. Remove and baste again with the remaining 1/2 of the sauce. Return chicken to the oven for a final 10 minutes to complete cooking and caramelize sauce.
- Remove the chicken from baking pan onto a serving tray. Squeeze the remaining lime juice over the wings and sprinkle with remaining zest. Serve hot!
© Copyright Christine Mello for Must Love Home. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.