Make dinner quick and simple with these hearty oven cheesesteak hot dogs. They’re finished in the oven – with melted cheese, seasoned steak, vegetables and a toasty bun.
Oven Cheesesteak Hot Dogs Recipe
No need to wait for grilling season…take your hotdogs to whole new level by adding a layer of cheesesteak. That’s right, seasoned shaved steak, peppers, onions and lots of melting provolone cheese will have you seeing and tasting classic hotdogs in a delicious new light. Right in your oven.
This is a simple recipe folks…the hotdogs are stuffed into buns, skillet toppings added, then back to the hot oven for melting all that cheese. If you’ve got the gusto, eat em’ with your hands, but you might want to keep a knife and fork handy. If you love these, you’ll want to try our Oven Chili Cheese Dogs too!
My guys love them with a big handful of chips, and I add some fruit too, because after all that meat and cheese a little healthy doesn’t hurt.
How To Make This Oven Cheesesteak Hot Dogs Recipe
Start by spreading the buns with mustard and mayo, and pack the hotdogs into a foil lined pan for easy cleanup. If you over-fill your dogs like I do, you might need to use two pans!
Then season up that steak and saute with the onions, tossing with silicone tongs like a stir-fry as you cook. You can add the peppers with the steak, or put them on top of the cheese, or both if you like.
Layer the shaved steak and onions, cheese slices and peppers on top.
What is Shaved Steak?
Shaved steak is extremely thin slices of beef, cut across the grain of the meat. The beauty is with beef sliced this thin, it can come from any part of the steer and still be amazingly tender. It’s usually sold in pre-packaged flats in the meat case and is generally more affordable than whole cuts of steak.
You could buy a steak, partially freeze it, then cut it into paper thin slices yourself, but that’s hard on the hands. No need for all that drama if you go for the shaved steak.
Then into the oven, covered with foil, to heat the hotdogs and buns, melt the cheese and cook the peppers until they’re tender. Now you’re ready to serve these big boy sandwiches.
Oven Cheesesteak Hot Dogs
Click highlighted ingredients to buy them!
- 12 ounce hot dogs, (8 count)
- 8 hot dog buns
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp yellow mustard, or stone ground
- 16 ounce shaved steak, or thinly sliced ribeye
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 medium yellow onion, cut into 1/4-inch thick rings
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium orange bell pepper, diced
- 8 ounces provolone cheese, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line 9 x 13 baking pan with foil.
- Separate and open buns. Lightly spread inside of buns with mayonnaise and mustard. Place a hot dog inside each bun. Pack hot dogs into prepared pan to fit.
- Heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat in large skillet. Add steak, onions, salt, pepper, garlic powder and worcestershire sauce. Toss and cook until steak is done and onions are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Spoon steak mix over hot dogs, dividing evenly. Lay cheese slice on top of each steak portion. Sprinkle with diced peppers.
- Cover pan with foil. Place pan on center rack of oven and bake 40 – 45 minutes, until cheese is melted and hotdogs are steaming. Serve hot.
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING
© Copyright Christine Mello for Must Love Home. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.
If you made this recipe, please leave a comment and rating. I would appreciate the chance to troubleshoot any issues you might have had before you leave the rating!