Easy Honey Sesame Chicken Recipe – all the delicious flavor of take-out, but made easy at home in under 30 minutes!
EASY HONEY SESAME CHICKEN
Who wants to pick-up takeout when this dish is so easy to make and great for your wallet and waistline. The family will love it… I mean, even picky kids will not be able to resist the sweet and spicy awesomeness of this sauce! This is plate-lickin’ stuff people! Whip up a veggie side and some rice and you have dinner done! Now that you know how simple and fast this is to make, get to it and make it a regular thing.
Hints for making the best Easy Honey Sesame Chicken recipe:
- Start with quality meat – use organic chicken breasts if possible
- For extra heat, increase the Red pepper Flakes from 1/4 teaspoon to 1/2 teaspoon or to your taste.
- Use fresh, minced garlic. Garlic is an integral component of this sauce recipe so use fresh if possible.
- Cornstarch is a key ingredient in here, do not try to replace it with flour, the results will not be the same.
- You can also taste and adjust the honey in this recipe, I like my Honey Sesame Chicken on the sweeter side, but you can use less.
SIDE DISHES TO SERVE WITH THIS RECIPE
Reasons to enjoy this Easy Honey Sesame Chicken Recipe:
- Easy to make and ready to eat in under 30 minutes
- Economical – dish is packed with lean protein and delicious flavors
- Perfect for busy weeknights and for weekend entertaining
Helpful Tools and Ingredients to make This Recipe:
Large, heavy skillet – I love my cast iron skillet. A well-seasoned cast iron skillet will develop a non-stick surface that can go safely from the stove top then right into the oven.
- Sesame Oil – you can buy sesame oil in most grocery stores.
- Eversharp Pro Chef’s Knife – I love and use this chef’s knife everyday! It never needs sharpening!
Easy Honey Sesame Chicken Recipe
- 1 1/2 – 2 pounds chicken breasts, boneless, skinless ,cut into bite size pieces
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce, or Ponzu
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced (green part only)
- salt and pepper
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. When the oil is very hot (it will shimmer), add the chicken. Cook, stirring occasionally, until it is golden brown and cooked thru, about 7 – 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, stir together Ponzu, honey, vinegar,red pepper flakes,ginger, garlic and sesame oil until well combined. Pour the sauce into the skillet over the chicken, and stir to coat the chicken with sauce. Bring the sauce to a boil.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of water to make a slurry. While stirring, add to the boiling sauce and continue to boil for 1 minute until the sauce has thickened and the chicken is coated.
- Remove pan from the heat. Serve chicken over a bed of rice, and sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onions.
© Copyright Christine Mello for Must Love Home. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.
If you made this recipe, please leave a comment and rating. I would appreciate the chance to troubleshoot any issues you might have had before you leave the rating!