Soft and chewy, with a hint of molasses, these Easy Chewy Brown Sugar Cookies are bake and go. No chilling required!
Last week I was attempting to organize my pantry and found a mother load of brown sugar. I haven’t a clue why it was in there. I’m sure I was going to make something…but as they say…memory is one of the first things to go.
Anyway, there was also a big bag of chocolate chips I had hidden from my husband, so the makings for these delicious, lusciously Easy Chewy Brown Sugar Cookies was right there.
This is one of my basic recipes, not to be confused with my Chocolate Chip Brown Sugar Cookies, and makes about 2 dozen. This time, I rolled these cookies in brown sugar, I thought ” why not?” Matthew and the boys raved about how tasty the crispy coating of brown sugar is as they literally inhaled them.
How to make Chewy Brown Sugar Cookies
If you are looking for an easy cookie recipe, this is it. Just 8 ingredients, one mixing bowl and 15 minutes to delicious, delectable cookies.
Start by preheating the oven to 350°. Get out your baking sheet so you are ready. There is a lot of butter in these cookies, so there’s no need to grease the pan.
Get out a large bowl, and stir in the melted butter, 1-1/2 cups of the brown sugar and the salt. I use a fork to combine these together. Add the eggs and vanilla and use the fork to whip the eggs into the sugar mixture. Keep going until the eggs are totally mixed in.
Stir with one hand while pouring in the flour and baking soda with the other. When everything is mixed in, use a rubber spatula to fold in the chocolate chips.
I like to use a small ice cream scoop to scoop the dough, but a spoon works too. Roll the dough into 1-inch balls and coat with remaining brown sugar. Place on baking sheet 2 inches apart. *Place the brown sugar into a shallow dish or on a piece of parchment for easy rolling.
Bake the cookies on the center rack of the oven for 10 – 12 minutes. Keep an eye on them. When the cookies start puffing up and the edges begin to look golden, they are done.
The cookies will be soft. Let them cool on the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooing rack to cool completely before storing.
Homemade cookies can sit on the counter, tightly covered for up to 3 days. Or freeze them for up to 3 months.
Dairy-free substitutes for butter
If you have a dairy allergy or just need to cut saturated fats, there are good alternatives to using butter in baking. Butter adds richness, flavor, moisture and texture to baked goods, especially in butter rich recipes.
One good all-around choice is coconut oil. It is a solid at room temperature just like butter, is easily melted and has delicious flavor.
Other options are dairy-free butter sticks or spreads. If you choose margarine, read the label carefully. Though most are made from soybean oil, many brands contain trace amounts of dairy. You can also use an all-vegetable shortening shortening, like Crisco.
Add-ins for next level Chewy Brown Sugar Cookies
For these tasty cookies, I added chocolate chips for the chocoholics at my house. There are so many choices ( add-in two or three of them!) to up the flavor ante of any cookie.
- Any kind of bits – like toffee, butterscotch or white chocolate
- Go hog wild and add bacon – imagine the taste of bacon with the maple flavor of brown sugar!
- Head to the snack aisle – mix in crushed pretzels, potato chips or hot fries to add heat. Now my mouth is watering!
- Hit up your spice cabinet – try a pinch of cloves, cardamom or a little cayenne!
- Go healthy – mix in flax seed, wheat germ or chia seeds.
Soft and chewy, with a hint of molasses, these easy to make Brown Sugar Chocolate Chip Cookies are bake and go. No chilling required!
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1–3/4 cup packed light brown sugar, divided reserving 1/4 cup
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1–1/2 cups chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large bowl, beat butter, 1-1/2 cups brown sugar and salt until fluffy.
- Add eggs and vanilla. Stir until completely combined.
- While stirring, add flour and baking soda. Continue stirring until flour is incorporated.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Scoop balls of dough, 1-inch round. Roll in reserved brown sugar. Place on baking sheet at least 2 inches apart.
- Using bottom of a glass, press dough to flatten.
- Bake on center rack of preheated 350° oven until puffed and edges are golden,10 – 12 minutes.
- Allow to cool on pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Store in airtight container, at room temperature, for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
This recipe is easily doubled.
Keywords: Chewy Brown Sugar Chocolate Chip Cookies
© Copyright Christine Mello for Must Love Home. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.