Savory Butternut Squash Bean Soup is a protein-packed blend of butternut squash, white beans, chickpeas and couscous. Warm, comforting and so tasty this will quickly be a family favorite soup!
For me, it is always a good time for soup. And when that soup is packed with protein and vitamins, that is even better. This Butternut Squash Bean Soup, served with whole grain couscous is a complete meal in itself. Believe me, this is tasty stuff. Just read what happened at my house.
There is not a person besides me in our house that likes butternut squash. So, of course I buy squash because it will be still be in the fridge when I am ready to eat it. That is a luxury when you live with a houseful of men! Anyway, I thought I would make a savory soup using butternut squash expecting that no one but me would touch it. I was wrong. The guys loved it, especially adding the couscous on top. The soup was gone the same day I made it. Honestly, I didn’t see that coming.
Butternut Squash Bean Soup can be made either vegetarian, using veggie broth or regular using chicken broth, both are amazing.
WHAT IS COUSCOUS?
Couscous is a pasta made from semolina flour mixed with water. Semolina flour is extremely high in gluten and a common flour used to make pastas. It creates firm noodles and isn’t as sticky as many other flours. Semolina flour is generally made from durum wheat, which is high in protein. Couscous also contain considerable amounts of several nutrients, such as niacin, thiamine and Folate, all of which are necessary for a well-rounded diet.
Couscous is associated with a reduced risk of chronic disease, contains antoxidants, supports gastrointestinal health and may aid in weight loss.
TIPS FOR MAKING THE BEST BUTTERNUT SQUASH BEAN SOUP
- Pick a great butternut squash – it should be beige, heavy for its size and the skin should be hard without bruises or punctures.
- Let the squash get a little crisp on the edges while skillet cooking. It adds flavor and texture.
- Use a fork to lightly mash the white beans in the can. Leave some whole beans. The mashed beans will help slightly thicken and flavor the soup.
- Add the soup base to enhance the flavor. It’s made with carrots, celery, onion and tomato. It also contains a lot of sodium, so taste the soup before adding additional salt.
- Medium grain couscous cooks quickly.. Measure couscous into a bowl, add boiling water and cover with a plate. After 5 minutes it is cooked and ready to be fluffed.
- The recipe is naturally vegetarian, but chicken broth and chicken soup base can be substituted to make a non-vegetarian variety.
- Use unsalted almond slices to keep the soup from getting too salty.
Butternut Squash Bean Soup
Click highlighted ingredients to buy them!
- 3 cups butternut squash, cut into bite-size pieces (about 1/2 medium squash)
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1/2 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 6 cups low sodium vegetable broth, or chicken broth
- 1 tsp vegetable soup base, optional
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 15 ounce white beans, canned, drained
- 15 ounce chickpeas, canned, drained
- 1/2 cup couscous, cooked according to package directions
- 1/4 cup almond slices
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper
- extra almonds and parsley for garnish, optional
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add squash, stir and cook covered for 8 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a large dutch oven or soup pot over medium high heat. Add onions and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir onions occasionally. Add garlic and cook an additional 1 minute.
- Add broth, soup base, thyme, chickpeas and cooked squash to the dutch oven and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer.
- In the can or a bowl, slightly mash the white beans with a fork. Add to the pot with the chickpeas. Continue simmering for additional 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Fluff the cooked couscous, fold in the almonds and parsley.
- Ladle hot soup into bowls, top each with 1/4 cup of couscous mixture. Garnish with additional almonds and parsley. Serve hot.
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING
© Copyright Christine Mello for Must Love Home. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.