With all the delicious flavor of classic pumpkin pie, this easy Brandy Pumpkin Pie recipe is made with pumpkin, evaporated milk and spices with a healthy shot of good cheer added for the holidays!
We know that holidays are when all of the old family favorites are expected and no one dares to change things up. But this irresistible brandy pumpkin pie recipe, lightly spiked with a shot of holiday cheer, is a game changer.
Fortunately (or not, depending on how you feel about the holidays) this pie won’t make you tipsy. Most of the alcohol burns off during baking, leaving an unmistakable brandy flavor that is noticeable, but not overpowering. Want to keep it family friendly? You can omit the brandy entirely or substitute brandy flavoring. It will still be an amazingly delicious pie and just right to finish off your day of feasting. If you’re feeding a crowd, you might want to make a Pumpkin Slab Pie, that will satisfy the sweet tooth of around 16 people.
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE BRANDY PUMPKIN PIE
- Unbaked Pie Crust – refrigerated that come two crust dough rounds to a box works best. Use one for the crust and the second to make the leaves.
- Pumpkin – canned 100% pumpkin puree was used to make this pie. This is NOT the same things as pumpkin pie filling.
- Eggs – large eggs were used here.
- Evaporated Milk – this is canned cows milk where about 60% of the water has been removed. It is naturally unsweetened.
- Brown Sugar – either light or dark brown sugar is fine. Light brown was used for this recipe. Dark brown sugar will result in a slightly deeper colored pie.
- Allspice – one of my favorite fall baking spices, it has the distinct taste of cinnamon and cloves, but more intense.
- Nutmeg – brings out the flavor of the pumpkin.
WHAT IS ALLSPICE?
Despite the name Allspice, which many people believe is a blend of several spice, is really the dried unripe berry of the Pimenta dioica tree, which is native the Caribbean, Mexico and Central America. It’s believe the name came because it has the flavor and aroma of a mix of cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN EVAPORATED MILK AND SWEETENED CONDENSED MILK?
The main difference between evaporated milk and sweetened condensed milk is the sugar content. Both are canned, shelf-stable and are cows milk with reduced water, however sweetened condensed milk has sugar added, while evaporated milk does not. One can of sweetened condensed milk can contain more than 2 cups of sugar per can.
The leaf decorations are totally optional, but sure are pretty on this pie. They’re super easy to make with refrigerated pie dough. Just roll out the dough, use these easy leaf cookie cutouts, transfer to a baking sheet and bake. No problem at all!
Easy Brandy Pumpkin Pie Recipe
Click on highlighted ingredients to buy them.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Unroll 1 pie crust and using leaf shaped cookie cutters, cut out leaves and place on a baking sheet. Re-roll the dough scraps and continue cutting out leaves until all dough has been used.
- Place the leaf cutouts on sheet pan and bake 8 – 10 minutes until golden brown.
- Unroll 2nd pie crust. Roll out to fit pie pan. Place dough in pan, forming dough to bottom and sides while folding excess dough under around edges. Crimp edges with a fork or side of a spoon.
For the Filling
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs and rum. Stir in pumpkin, evaporated milk, brown sugar, spices and salt until smooth. Spread the mixture into the pie shell and smooth the top.
- Bake 45-50 minutes, until the crust is browned and the filling is set in the center. A knife or tester inserted in center of pie should come out clean. Cool completely on wire rack.
- Place the leaf cutouts on top and around the edges of the pie to decorate. Add pecans with the dough leaves. (optional)
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING
© Copyright Christine Mello for Must Love Home. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.
If you made this recipe, please leave a comment and rating. I would appreciate the chance to troubleshoot any issues you might have had before you leave the rating!