Made with only 3 ingredients, these easy homemade Double Banana Dog Treats will have your furry canine friends begging for more!
Instead of the usual banana bread, I decided to use up my over-ripe bananas by making Double Banana Dog Treats. I hadn’t used bananas in my homemade dog treats before but Woody loves them, so I gave it a try. These treats were a total hit!!
The base of the treats is mostly oat flour and the treats I bake always come out looking the same. So to give these some interest, I added very thin slices of banana on top of each of the cutout treats. You could take the time to make dried banana chips for the treats, but the thin slices worked out just fine. Just make sure to bake the treats until the banana slice on top is dry to the touch.
SUBSTITUTIONS FOR EGGS IN THE RECIPE
If your pup is allergic to eggs, there are substitutes that work nicely in this recipe. Just FYI, the eggs help the treats brown while baking, so they might look pale when done.
- Applesauce – 1/4 cup per egg
- Pumpkin Puree – 1/4 cup per egg
- Nut Butter – 3 tablespoon per egg
- More mashed Banana – 1/4 cup per egg
This is how the treats looked with the raw banana. I am not sure if they really needed it, but I made a little thumbprint in each treat before putting the banana on it, to help the banana stay in place.
If you love to pamper your pet with homemade treats…you might also like these Homemade Peanut Butter Dog Treats!
Double Banana Dog Treats
- 4 Cups Oat Flour
- 3 medium ripe bananas divided
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- In a small bowl, use a fork to mash 2-1/2 bananas. Slice the other 1/2 banana into 24 very thin slices to decorate the top of the treats, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the oat flour, mashed bananas and 2 eggs. Add more oat flour if the dough is too sticky to handle.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured board and roll to 1/4 inch thick. Using a cookie cutter, cut out the treats and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Using your thumb, make a slight indention into the top of each treat, and lay a banana slice into it.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the edges start to brown and the banana slice feels just dry to the touch. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
© Copyright Christine Mello for Must Love Home. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.