Velvety whipped cream filling and crunchy cookies makes this no-bake Chocolate Chip Cookie Icebox cake the perfect dessert for all your special occasions. It’s great for when you want a make-ahead dessert!
Are a chocolate chip cookie lover? Then this is the dessert for you! With layers of chocolate whipped cream and cookies, does it get any better? And there is a bonus – no baking is required. The trick is the overnight trip to the fridge. The cookies will soften and the cream filling firms up like magic.
I found out about icebox cakes when I lived in the South (even though no one I knew called their fridge an ice box). I was at a friends house and her Mom asked me if I wanted a slice of strawberry ice box cake she had made. Her Mom was considered a great southern cook, but the cake she served me was beyond amazing. The cake was ice cold and creamy and layered with strawberry wafers. And it only had three ingredients: heavy cream, sugar and strawberry wafer cookies. It was the definition of simple and delicious.
HOW TO MAKE A CHOCOLATE CHIP ICEBOX CAKE
This cake is not that much different from that first one I ever tasted. There are a couple more ingredients like cocoa and marscapone, but the idea is the same.
- Heavy Cream – you can substitute whipping cream for the heavy cream. It has a little less fat.
- Mascarpone Cheese – this is creamy indulgence! If you don’t want to buy it, you can use another cup of heavy cream instead.
- Sugar – white granulated sugar or powdered sugar are both fine.
- Cocoa Powder – use the best, richest cocoa powder you can find. I use this organic brand that has amazing flavor.
- Vanilla Extract – it’s a little more expensive, but if your budget allows, use pure vanilla extract rather than imitation flavored.
- Chocolate Chip Cookies – crisp chocolate chip cookies are essential here!
First, whip the cream with the mascarpone, sugar, cocoa and vanilla. At this point, you’re done with the hard stuff.
In a 9-inch springform pan, make three layers each of the cream mixture and cookies.
The last layer should be the cream mixture! This will make the finished icebox cake look like it’s frosted. Now it goes into the fridge for at least 8 hour to set.
Sprinkle on shaved chocolate (use a microplane tool to easily shave it) if your so inclined. Look at it…a yummy Chocolate Chip Cookie Icebox Cake made in minutes, then chilled until set:)
This is a great cake for the holidays because it frees up the oven…and can made the day before!
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
Chocolate Chip Icebox Cake
Click highlighted ingredients to buy them!
- 2 cups cold heavy cream
- 12 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, like Hersheys
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 13 ounce package chocolate chip cookies, like Chips Ahoy
- Shaved semisweet chocolate, for garnish
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, combine the heavy cream, mascarpone, sugar, cocoa powder and vanilla. Mix on low speed to combine and then slowly raise the speed, until it forms firm peaks.
- To assemble the cake, arrange chocolate chip cookies flat in an 9-inch springform pan, covering the bottom and breaking the cookies if needed to fill the space.
- Spread 1/3 of the whipped cream evenly over the cookies. Place another layer of cookies on top, lying flat and touching, followed by another 1/3 of the cream.
- Layer the cookies and cream until there are 3 layers of each, ending with a layer of cream. Smooth the top, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight. *Push the plastic down so it is laying flat on the top layer of cream.
- Run a small sharp knife around the outside of the cake and remove the sides of the springform pan. Leave the cake on the pan bottom.
- Sprinkle the top with the chocolate, cut in wedges, and serve cold.
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING
© Copyright Christine Mello for Must Love Home. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.
If you made this recipe, please leave a comment and rating. I would appreciate the chance to troubleshoot any issues you might have had before you leave the rating!