Best Smoked Turkey Stock, savory and rich with smoked turkey wings, is just what you need to up the flavor ante of soups, stews and gravy. Try this silky stock recipe as a base for rice dishes too!
Best Homemade Smoked Turkey Stock is just what you need to kick up all of your favorite dishes. Put that chicken stock away and just revel in this stuff. I use this turkey stock as the starter to make the most incredibly flavorful rice, soups and gravy. It adds a silky feel that you just don’t get from store bought stock.
The first time I made my own stock, I was so scared that I would mess it up. I made my Grandma’s Vegetable Stock Recipe and it was so simple I thought I did something wrong. Where had this stuff been my whole life? It transformed the dishes I cooked from just “it’s good” to “wow, how did you make this”!
Make this stock recipe ahead of time and freeze it. You’ll have all the stock you need for weeks. Freeze a few cups in ice cube trays. Just pop out a cube or two to quickly add tons of flavor to skillet and slow cooked dishes.
Don’t be intimidated. Making Your Own Stock Takes Only A Few Steps
Sticking to my promise to deliver simple and easy recipes, this recipe is just that. It takes a little time, but most of that is spent just kicking back and enjoying the amazing smell of the pot boiling away. Here is all you need to do:
- Gather ingredients for your stock
- Chop up veggies, garlic and meat
- Add all ingredients and water to large stockpot
- Allow to come to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer for a few hours.
- Strain, leaving only the liquid.
- Allow to cool then skim off fat (optional)
- Package into freezer containers, label and freeze until you need it.
Here are some tips for making the Best Homemade Smoked Turkey Stock:
- Use a combination of both smoked turkey wings and chicken wings. All smoked meats may result in a stock that is too salty.
- Make it easy…the carrot and celery only need to be coarsely chopped,
- Leave the onion peels on for a richer and darker stock.
- You may saute or roast the meat, garlic and veggies before placing in the stockpot, but I don’t find that step necessary for this recipe.
Best Homemade Smoked Turkey Stock
Click on highlighted ingredients to buy them.
- 2 pounds smoked turkey wings
- 2 pounds chicken wings
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 2 medium carrots, scrubbed and coarsely chipped
- 2 large celery stalks, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium garlic, halved crosswise
- 1 bunch parsley
- 2 large bay leaves
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 24 cups water
- Add all ingredients to a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Stir. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, cook uncovered 3-1/2 – 4-1/2 hours until meat is falling apart and liquid is reduced by half.
- Scoop out large pieces and discard. Strain stock into another large pot, discard solids.
- Allow to cool slightly, then chill. Fat will rise to the top in a solid layer and be easier to remove. Skim off the fat and transfer stock into airtight containers. Refrigerate until use.
- Cool completely. Ladle into airtight freezer safe plastic containers. Leave 1-inch at top open for expansion. Freeze for up to 6 months.
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING
© Copyright Christine Mello for Must Love Home. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.