Best BBQ Slow Cooker Chicken is made easy in the crock pot with moist chicken legs and an addictive savory sweet barbecue sauce.
Enjoy delicious BBQ Slow Cooker Chicken with almost no effort. Set it before you head to work and come home to the aroma of BBQ Chicken just waiting to be served. Throw some veggies in the microwave and toss a salad and you have a full dinner for your family in 10 minutes!
I am a serious fan of the slow cooker! In fact, with the weather heating up soon, I will be dragging out my slow cooker even more. Grilling is great, but sometimes the weather will not cooperate.
On those kind of days, I don’t want to heat up the oven, so I’ll let the slow cooker do all the work. It is just too easy to throw everything into the pot and walk away for a few hours! And with this super easy recipe, the result is an entree of juicy, tender chicken legs that are easy on the wallet, super tasty, go with any side dish. Can you beat that?
The slow cooker tends to flatten out some of the flavors of bottled barbecue sauce during the long cooking time. So we love to doctor our favorite barbecue sauce with brown sugar, garlic powder, minced onion, poultry seasoning and worcestershire sauce for even bigger BOLD flavor.
Reasons to love Best BBQ Slow Cooker Chicken
- Simple to make; virtually no work involved
- Easy clean up – use slow cooker liners for virtually NO cleanup! Just be sure to get the right size and shape liners for your type of slow cooker.
- Economical – chicken is one of the cheaper sources of protein
- Delicious with most any side dish
How to make Slow Cooker Barbecue Chicken
- Mix the ingredients in a small bowl and set aside for now. Wait, before you go, take a taste and know the flavor I am talking about! At the end, the remaining sauce will be reduced and used for dipping, so we will want every bit of flavor we can get.
- I prefer to use skin-on legs when slow cooking because the skin keeps the meat from falling right off the bone. And I cannot lie, I love the skin. Love it.
- After the sauce has been mixed, throw about a 1/4 cup of it in the bottom of the slow cooker to coat. Spread it around with whatever you stirred it up with, in my case a fork. The less clean up, the better.
- Add 1/2 of the chicken to the slow cooker and spread with another 1/4 cup of sauce, again using whatever you stirred it with. No need to get out the fancy brushes and basters for this job.
- Put the remaining chicken legs in the slow cooker and spread with the remaining sauce. Cover, set to high for 3 – 4 hours or low for 6-8. Walk away, fast! Or slow. Or hang around and daydream and wait for the mouth-watering aromas to start coming from the slow cooker.
- When done, the chicken legs will be pulling away from the bone. If you use a meat thermometer, the chicken is fully done when it reads 165 degrees. Now, stop for a moment and just gaze at this deliciousness before you take it out of the pot. This chicken is beauty pageant ready!
More Slow Cooker Dinner Ideas
- Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie
- Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan with Penne Pasta
- Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef with Broccoli
- Slow Cooker General Tso’s Chicken
- Slow Cooker Garlic Honey Chicken
Best BBQ Slow Cooker Chicken
- Into a small bowl add the barbecue sauce, brown sugar, garlic powder, minced onion, poultry seasoning and worcestershire sauce. Stir to mix completely.
- Pour a few tablespoons of the barbecue sauce mixture into the bottom of the slow-cooker pot, spreading with a spoon to coat the bottom of the pot
- Sprinkle the chicken legs with salt and pepper. Add half of the chicken legs to the slow-cooker and cover with half of the sauce mixture. Repeat with the other half of the chicken and sauce. Cover and set the slow cooker to low. Cook for 7-8 hours. Chicken should be at least 165°F on a instant read thermometer.
- Remove the chicken to a serving platter and turn the slow-cooker to High. Stir the remaining sauce in the pot until it begins to slightly thicken. Pour over the chicken for serving.
© Copyright Christine Mello for Must Love Home. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.