Banana Bread Cream Cheese Bundt Cake is made decadent by adding a luscious cream cheese filling – it’s light, moist and delicious.
Have you ever seen a recipe for something, with the amazing photo next to it and thought…”that recipe would be perfect if only…”? Recently I came across a recipe for a cream cheese filled bundt cake..but the cake part was Red Velvet. Honestly, there are no red velvet eaters in this man-filled house. It must be the “velvet” that sends them running. They truly do not know what they are missing! Anyway, my guys will inhale anything banana flavored so to keep the peace I created a banana bread cake for this recipe.
Tips for the best Banana Bread Cream Cheese Bundt Cake Recipe:
- Use fresh squeezed orange juice for the best flavor with no added sugar. Fresh orange zest is essential for this recipe and be sure to zest the orange BEFORE squeezing.
- Bananas that are best for baking should be overripe. The banana should be soft and evenly pale brown all over. To quickly ripen bananas for baking, place unpeeled bananas on a lined baking sheet in a 300 degree oven for 15 – 30 minutes. They are done when the peel is shiny and black. Stay close as they are cooking – oven temperatures can vary and the bananas can leak as they cook.
- Proper measuring is critical for baking. Precise measurements using proper dry and liquid measuring tools is key to a successful baking.
This smelled heavenly coming out of the oven – just like banana cheesecake.
Good Lord, nothing I make is safe in this house! I saw my son heading toward my cooling cake with a butcher knife in hand. He thought it was “just” banana bread and he was ready to dive right in.
When I was physically and emotionally ready, I cut into the cake. Tears were (almost) shed. It is a thing of beauty.
Essential Tools and Ingredients for making the best Banana Cream Cheese Bundt Cake:
- Measuring cups – the two most common types are graded cups for measuring dry and solid ingredients and glass cups for measuring liquids. Graded cups usually range from 1/4 cup to 1 cup in size and come in sets. Glass cups commonly come in 1 cup, 2 cup and 4 cup sizes to measure liquid ingredients.
Banana Bread Cream Cheese Bundt Cake
For the filling:
For the cake:
For the glaze:
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F . Grease a 12-cup bundt pan or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
Make the Filling
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the cream cheese, granulated sugar, eggs, sour cream, heavy cream and vanilla on medium speed until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and set the filling aside.
Make the Cake
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the shortening and sugar at medium speed for 4 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating for 45 seconds after each addition. The batter should be light and fluffy. Add the banana, orange peel and orange juice. Beat on medium speed until completely combined, about 1 minute.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. On low speed, add half of the dry ingredients to the banana mixture, beat until moistened. Add the remaining dry ingredients and beat on medium speed for 1 minute more, scraping down the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Pour 3 cups of the banana bread batter into the greased bundt pan. Spreading with a spatula until level all around and the top is smooth.
- Carefully pour the cream cheese filling mixture evenly in a circle over the cake batter. Spoon the remaining banana bread batter evenly over the cream cheese filling.
- Bake 1 hour on the middle rack of a 350°F oven or until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the banana bread comes out clean.
- Transfer the cake to a rack and let cool about 20 minutes in the pan, then carefully invert the pan onto a plate and let the cake release. Cool completely, about 2 hours.
Make the Glaze
- For the glaze combine the cream cheese, confectioners sugar, sour cream, vanilla and salt in a medium bowl and on medium speed of a stand mixer until smooth. . Pour and spread on the cooled cake.
© Copyright Christine Mello for Must Love Home. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.