Red Curry Rice with Raisins and Cashews is an easy meal that packs a huge flavor punch. Add cooked chicken or eggs to add extra protein to this hot toasted rice dish!
Yep, you’re reading this right. We’re cooking with Curry again! And…wait for it…another vegetarian meal! If you’re wondering what’s going on, let me just say that I’m not a vegetarian, we eat pretty much anything at our house. But, I’m making an effort to add or take away ingredients to make each dish healthier.
I’m sure I have tons of company for one of the items on my to-do list this year – eat less meat and more grains and vegetables. The reason for all the healthy talk is something that I haven’t shared with you before. I have a grandson that I care for while his parents are working. I know that if I want to continue being an active Gran, healthy eating is one of the first things I need to focus on.
The Red Curry has a little more heat than the “regular” curry powder, but it’s still considered mild. You may be wondering about the pale yellow color instead of the rich yellow that curry rice usually has. That’s because the red curry powder used for Red Curry Rice with Raisins and Cashews contains less Tumeric than some others.
Red Curry Rice with Raisins and Cashews
Click underlined ingredients to buy them!
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus additional 1 TBSP as needed
- 1 medium yellow onion, minced
- 1 tbsp red curry powder
- 2 cups Basmati rice, uncooked
- 3 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 3/4 cup cashews, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped, reserve 1 tbsp for garnish
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and saute for 5 minutes, until onions are translucent. Stir in red curry powder, then add in rice and toast, stirring, for 1 minute. Add in water and salt, stir and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until rice is tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit, covered, additional 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork. Stir in raisins, cashews and cilantro.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve.
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING
© Copyright Christine Mello for Must Love Home. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.