Patriotic Angel Food Cake is layers of fluffy cake, stuffed with a cream cheese filling and then fruit mounded in the layers and on top. A perfect summer dessert!
Let me just throw this out there…do we really need another delicious cake, with cream cheese and whipped topping? Probably not. But do we want a cake like this..heck yeah! And the creamy filling tastes just like cheesecake…it is addictive! This is one of those show stoppers that has everyone asking how long you worked on this..and it is so beautiful…and I want the recipe…you know how it goes. As you are enjoying telling of the hours you spent working your fingers to the bone to make this for them, you can smile to yourself knowing it took about 15 minutes. Yes, you read that right…15 minutes and let me show you how.
There is one thing you need to do to prep for this beforehand though…soften up the cream cheese to room temperature. I don’t want to know the details..just get it to room temperature. Now that that is out of the way…this is what you do.
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE PATRIOTIC ANGEL FOOD CAKE
- store-bought angel food cake
- cream cheese
- sour cream
- powdered sugar
- vanilla extract
- lemon zest
- whipped topping
HOW TO MAKE A PATRIOTIC ANGEL FOOD CAKE (IT’S REALLY EASY!)
- In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese until it is light and fluffy. This take about 3 minutes with a hand mixer.
- Stop the mixer and stir in the sour cream, vanilla, lemon peel and the powdered sugar. If you like being covered in powdered sugar ( I don’t judge) then don’t stir it in first. Turn the mixer back on and beat for another minute. It should be smooth and creamy.
- Grab the tub of whipped topping and fold it into the cream cheese mixture. Your mixture should get light and fluffy again. Set this aside for a minute.
- Next, remove the angel food cake from the package. On a flat surface, using a bread knife, carefully slice the cake horizontally into three even layers.
- Transfer the bottom layer onto a serving plate. Pile on about 1/3 of the cream cheese mixture, spreading it out on the layer of the cake. Next, decoratively place 1/3 of your strawberries, blueberries and raspberries on top of the cream cheese mixture.
- Place the second cake layer on top of the first and repeat the steps. Place the top layer back on the cake, spread with the remaining cream cheese mixture and garnish with remaining berries. Isn’t it pretty…and just right for impressing your guests!
There you have it, about 15 minutes from start to finish. Easy as pie…or cake in this case. If you like easy dessert recipes (this one has an easy cheesecake layer) you will love Frozen Blueberry Cheesecake Pie!
Patriotic Angel Food Cake
Click highlighted ingredients to buy them!
- 1 whole angel food cake
- 8 ounce cream cheese, block, full or reduced fat
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 8 ounce whipped topping, non-dairy
- 1 pint strawberries, (12 ounces) hulled and sliced in half
- 6 ounces raspberries
- 6 ounces blueberries
- In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese until it is light and fluffy. This take about 3 minutes with a hand mixer. Stop the mixer and stir in the sour cream, vanilla, lemon peel and the powdered sugar. Turn the mixer back on and beat for another minute. it should be smooth and creamy. Grab the tub of whipped topping and fold it into the cream cheese mixture. Mixture will be light and fluffy. Set aside.
- Remove angel food cake from package. On a flat surface, use a bread knife to slice cake horizontally into three even layers. Transfer bottom layer onto a serving plate.
- Spread 1/3 of the cream cheese mixture onto cake layer. Place 1/3 of the strawberries, blueberries and raspberries on top of cream cheese mixture. Add the second cake layer on top of the first and repeat the steps.
- Place the top layer back on the cake, spread with remaining cream cheese mixture and garnish with remaining berries.
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING
© Copyright Christine Mello for Must Love Home. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.