Moist and delicious, this Banana Bread is brimming with natural banana flavor and sweet butterscotch morsels. It is an easy recipe classic that your family will love. Bake a batch today in your own kitchen!
BANANA BREAD WITH BUTTERSCOTCH
Do you ever get inspired to cook or bake from a movie? There’s one in particular that sends me rushing to pull out the pots and pans, and strangely, make me think of bananas. That movie is “It’s Complicated” (remember Meryl Streep in that swoon-worthy kitchen?)
Years ago, my Saturday routine was to be at the grocery store by 6 am, get my weekly shopping done and be back home by 8 am to start cooking all my make- ahead meals for the next week. (I spent about 60 hours a week at work back then). Before I even unpacked, I would pop the movie into the DVD player and listen while I got organized.
Found in Traditional Home
Ingredients needed to make Butterscotch Banana Bread
- Baking Soda
- Baking Powder
- Butterscotch Morsels
And now, even though I am not at the grocery at 6 am on Saturdays, I still will bake banana bread with any ripe bananas we have. Butterscotch chips were calling to me from the pantry so I added them to a batch of this delicious bread. The flavor combination turned out to be amazing!
Banana Bread with Butterscotch
- 1/3 cup butter, margarine or shortening
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 medium bananas, overripe
- 1 tsp grated orange peel
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1-1/3 cups butterscotch morsels
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, with the mixer set on medium, cream the shortening and the sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition, until light and fluffy. Beat in banana, orange peel and orange juice.
- In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add to the banana mixture, beating for one minute. Scrape down bowl as needed. Stir in butterscotch morsels until well distributed.
- Spread into prepared pan. Bake on center rack of oven for 60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack. Remove from the pan and cool completely on the wire rack.
- In a a small bowl, combine the confectioners sugar, milk and maple syrup. Stir until smooth. Drizzle over bread. Allow to set.
- In a small bowl, place 1/2 of the remaining butterscotch morsels. Melt the butterscotch in the microwave or over a pot of steaming water until the morsels are completely melted. Drizzle the melted butterscotch morsels onto the top of the bread loaf. Decorate with remaining morsels.
© Copyright Christine Mello for Must Love Home. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.
Recipe adapted from Campbell’s Great American Cookbook 1984
If you made this recipe, please leave a comment and rating. I would appreciate the chance to troubleshoot any issues you might have had before you leave the rating!