Slow Cooker General Tso’s Chicken is a favorite Chinese take out dish that is crazy easy to make at home and this tastes even better!
If you love Chinese take-out as much as I do, you will love this Slow Cooker General Tso’s Chicken recipe. It is the closest yet to restaurant flavor I have come…and it may even be better! General Tso’s is supposed to be both sticky sweet and slightly spicy, and at first I was making this using only red pepper flakes for heat. And while the recipe was amazing it was just missing something. So, after some trial and error I added a small amount of sriracha and that was IT!! I felt like skipping around the kitchen…then had a mental image of how I would look and settled for a high five instead.
If you don’t have a slow cooker, you can still make this recipe. Just cook the chicken thru when you are browning it, then pour the sauce mixture over the chicken in the skillet. Cook until the sauce is thickened and serve. It is super easy! Use this sauce recipe to stir fry shrimp or vegetables too!
Pro Tips For Making Slow Cooker General Tso’s Chicken
- This recipe was created using chicken breast, but boneless, skinless thighs will work too.
- Frying the chicken chunks first in cornstarch will result in a crunchy “batter” on the chunks and make them taste like the take-out variety.
- Use fresh garlic and ginger. They are integral parts of the sauce. Dry spice versions will effect the flavor and texture.
- Look for a Hoisin sauce that has contains fermented soybeans or soybean paste near the top of the ingredients. Lesser quality brands may use miso or other soy derivatives. Taste before using as some are extremely salty. I used Lee Kum Kee brand for this recipe.
Slow Cooker General Tso’s Chicken
- 2.5 pounds chicken breasts boneless, skinless, cut into bite-size chunks
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp ginger minced
- 1 tsp sriracha
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- sliced green onion for garnish optional
- Place cornstarch, black pepper and chicken chunks into a plastic bag. Shake until chicken is evenly coated with cornstarch.
- In a large skillet, heat vegetable oil of medium-high heat. Add the chicken to the skillet and cook until chicken is browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Chicken will not be cooked thru. Remove chicken from the skillet to the slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, combine the hoisin sauce, soy sauce, honey, rice wine vinegar, garlic, ginger, pinch of red pepper flakes and sriracha. Stir until well blended. Pour over the chicken.
- Stir the chicken until coated with the sauce. Turn the slow cooker to high and cover.
- Cook for 3-4 hours until the chicken is cooked thru and the sauce is thick. Serve over rice.
© Copyright Christine Mello for Must Love Home. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.