Worthy of any cantina, this easy, homemade Zesty Tomatillo and Lime Sauce can be yours in under 30 minutes. Tomatillos, serrano chiles and onion are broiled, then combined with lime, cilantro and honey to make an amazing sauce that can be served with chips, used as a marinade and much more.
- 7 tomatillos
- 2 serrano chiles
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 cloves minced garlic (optional)
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 TBSP fresh lime juice
- 1 TBSP honey
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- Preheat broiler and place rack 6 inches from heat.
- Place whole tomatillos, chile and quartered onion in a single layer on rimmed baking pan.
- Broil until tomatillos are soft and browned, about 15 minutes. Turn vegetables at 7-1/2 minutes.
- Cool on pan for 10 minutes.
- Transfer vegetables with any pan liquid to a food processor or blender. Add garlic,cilantro,water,oil,juice, honey and salt.
- Process until almost smooth. Serve at room temperature or store in the refrigerator in a covered dish for up to 1 week.
Note – ripe tomatillos are bright green in color and fill out the husk.