Sweet Potato Souffle is a velvety mixture of oven roasted sweet potatoes and bananas topped with a crumbly pecan crust. Your friends and family will rave about this flavorful dish!
Today, I am sharing with you a recipe from my secret family recipe collection; Sweet Potato Souffle. I have made this dish for years during the holidays and for special occasions and it is absolutely delicious. One of the surprising ingredients is bananas. Once roasted, bananas are smooth and super sweet, but not like sugar. Once you taste this, you will understand why they are a critical ingredient. Even as teenagers, saying the whole time that they hated sweet potatoes, my sons loved this dish. That tells me it is a winner !
Sweet Potato Banana Souffle is a perfect side dish to compliment all of the savory dishes served at the holidays!
- 5 medium to large sweet potatoes, washed and pricked with a fork
- 4 bananas, leave peels on
- 1 cup ( 2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 and 1/2 cups chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 375 Degrees.
- Butter a large casserole dish and set aside.
- Prick each washed potato with a fork several times, to allow steam to release. Place the potatoes in a baking pan and roast for about 30 minutes until soft. Larger potatoes will take longer.
- Remove the sweet potato pan from the oven, and add the unpeeled bananas to the baking pan, with the potatoes. Allow the potatoes and the bananas to roast together on the pan for an additional 10-15 minutes, until the potatoes are very soft to the touch and the bananas have darkened. Remove the pan from the oven, but leave the oven turned on.
- When the sweet potatoes are cool enough to handle, using a spoon, scoop the sweet potato flesh into a large bowl. Add the peeled bananas, 1 stick of the butter, honey, vanilla and salt to the bowl. Beat vigorously with a wooden spoon until the mixture is smooth and fluffy.
- Spoon the sweet potato mixture into the large greased casserole dish and smooth the top with a spoon.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, pecans and remaining stick of butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar and nut mix over the sweet potato mixture and place the casserole in the oven for 20 minutes. The crumbs will be golden brown when the souffle is done. Serve hot and enjoy!
- Serving Size: about 1/2 cup