Spicy Fried Chicken Sandwich is a marinated chicken thigh that has been fried to golden and crunchy perfection. It is served on bun with a thick sliced pickle and slathered with buttermilk chili sauce. The secret is in the simple marinade, leaving the chicken moist with melt-in-your-mouth flavor.
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1–1/2 TBSP sriracha
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 1–1/2 cups cake flour
- vegetable oil for frying
- 6 large sandwich buns
- green leaf lettuce and thick dill pickle slices for serving.
- Whisk the buttermilk, sriracha, 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper into a medium bowl. Transfer 1/4 cup of the buttermilk mixture to a small bowl and whisk in the mayonnaise. Set aside.
- Add the chicken to the bowl with the remaining buttermilk mixture. Toss to coat the chicken completely. Cover and let marinade in the refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Combine the cake flour, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper in a shallow dish.
- Heat 1/2 inch of vegetable oil in a large dutch oven or deep skillet over medium-heat.
- Dredge the chicken in the flour mixture than shake off any excess. Fry until golden and cooked thru, about 4-5 minutes per side. Transfer to a rack set over a baking sheet to drain.
- Divide the buttermilk chili sauce equally among the roll bottoms. Top with lettuce, chicken thigh then dill pickle slices. Add the roll tops and serve with thick cut fries.
Note – Reduced fat mayonnaise was used for this recipe
Note – for the salt-sensitive, all added salt may be omitted from the recipe. Add salt before serving if desired.
**Serving suggestion – make extra buttermilk chili sauce for dipping.
- Serving Size: 1 chicken thigh sandwich