Hearty Ham, the country’s favorite veggie duo and wide egg noodles combine for a Smoked Ham Peas and Carrots Bake that tastes like an indulgence but is ready to share in under 30 minutes.
- 12 ounces wide egg noodles
- 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 cups milk (whole or 2%)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon rosemary
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups cubed ham
- 12 ounce bag frozen peas and carrots*
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to boil. Coat a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Cook egg noodles al dente, according to package directions. Drain, reserving 1 cup of pasta water.
- While pasta is cooking, melt 3 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Whisk in flour and continue to whisk until combined to make a roux.
- Whisk milk into the flour mixture a cup at a time. Make sure there are no lumps and the sauce is smooth before adding more milk. Bring the sauce to a simmer. Stir in the salt, pepper, thyme and rosemary.
- Add the mozzarella, ham and vegetables to the sauce and stir until the cheese is melted. Fold in the cooked pasta until coated with sauce. Transfer to the prepared baking dish. **If the mixture seems too thick, add pasta water 1/4 cup at a time until consistency that let’s you easily stir the mixture.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan (or microwave). Stir the Panko breadcrumbs into the butter.
- Sprinkle the cheddar cheese over the pasta mixture, then sprinkle the panko over the cheese. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the sauce is bubbly. Cool slightly before cutting and serving.
*The bag of frozen peas and carrots does not need to be thawed before using.
** Reserved pasta water is starchy works better for thinning than water or milk for this recipe
Keywords: casserole,ham,pasta,dinner,egg noodles,carrots