This slow cooker whole chicken recipe is a deliciously seasoned Sunday dinner style chicken made with the help of a crock pot. It’s a super simple meal option that will be the centerpiece of your dinner table.
- 1 Whole chicken, 4 – 5 pounds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- pinch of cayenne
- In a small bowl, mix together all of the spices. Set aside.
- Tear off 2 pieces of heavy duty foil. 8 inches wide each. Roll each piece lengthwise into a loose tube. Place the foil into the bottom of the slow cooker insert, creating a rack for the chicken.
- Wash chicken and remove giblet bag. Pat the chicken dry inside and out with paper towels.
- Rub the chicken inside and out with the spice mix.
- Place the chicken breast side up into the prepared slow cooker insert.
- Cover and cook on High for 3-4 hours or on Low for 6-8 hours. The chicken is done when a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest portion of the chicken thigh reads at least 165 degrees F.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker to a platter, allowing a few minutes to cool before carving.
Keywords: chicken, slow cooker, dinner,rotisserie chicken, sunday dinner