Slow Cooker Sloppy Joes, with ground beef in a savory sauce of tomatoes, ketchup, barbecue sauce and spices. Enough to feed a crowd or to freeze for later!
- 3 pounds ground beef, 80% or leaner
- 3 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup all-natural ketchup
- 1/2 cup bottled barbecue sauce or homemade
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons pepperoncini brine (from the jar)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- soft buns for serving
- In a large skillet, brown ground beef until no pink remains. Drain, leaving 1 tablespoon of fat in skillet. Scrape browned beef into slow cooker insert.
- Add celery and onions to skillet and saute over medium-high heat until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add to beef in slow cooker.
- Add all other ingredients to slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Set slow cooker to Low and cook for 6 – 8 hours, or High for 3-4 hours. Stir occasionally.
- Spoon about 1/3 cup beef mixture onto buns and serve.
You may substitute 1 tablespoon vinegar or pickled banana pepper brine for pepperoncini brine. If using vinegar, regular or apple cider vinegar provides the best flavor.
Omit or reduce the added the brown sugar if you like your Sloppy Joes less sweet.
Keywords: slow cooker sloppy joe, homemade, ground beef, recipe