Get ready for Hot and Spicy with Slow Cooker Habanero Chicken Tacos. Piled high with chunks of juicy chicken and corn salsa, they are a smoldering treat for the taste buds!
- 2 1/2 – 3 pounds chicken breasts
- 4 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 Poblano pepper, stemmed,seeded and chopped
- 2 Habanero peppers, stemmed and seeded
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- salt and pepper
- 8 – 10 corn tortillas
- Cilantro leaves for garnish
- Corn Red Pepper Salsa
- Place the tomatoes,onion,peppers,tomato paste and cumin into a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Set aside.
- Sprinkle the chicken breasts with salt and pepper and place in the bottom of the slow cooker. Pour the pepper mixture over the chicken. Cover and cook 3-4 hours on Hugh or 6-8 hours on Low. The chicken is done when it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees on a meat thermometer.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker. . Cut into bite size chunks.
- Reserve cooking liquid and serve as a sauce for the chicken.
- Top each taco with corn salsa and cilantro leaves (optional)