Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie is chicken and tender vegetables, smothered with a savory homemade gravy then topped with a crisp,flaky crust.
- 2 large boneless,skinless chicken breasts
- 5 medium red potatoes, quartered
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn
- 4 TBSP (1/2 stick) unsalted butter**
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/8 tsp each marjoram,paprika and cayenne
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can refrigerated jumbo biscuits (8 biscuits)*
- Lightly coat the inside of slow cooker with cooking spray.Place the chicken breasts in the bottom of the slow cooker. Place the potatoes, carrots, celery, onion and corn on top of the chicken.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat melt the butter. Add the garlic and cook until garlic is fragrant, 1-2 minutes.
- Add flour to the butter mixture and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken stock, basil,oregano, thyme, marjoram,paprika and cayenne and bring mixture to a boil.
- Lower heat and cook until the sauce thickens, about 3 – 5 minutes.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and vegetables in the slow cooker. Stir to coat. Place bay leaves on top.
- Place lid on the slow cooker. Cook for 2 hours on high and 4 hours on low setting.
- The chicken is done when a meat thermometer reads 165 degrees or more at the thickest part of the chicken. The potatoes should also be fork tender.
- Remove the bay leaves from the slow cooker and discard.
- Remove the chicken breasts, using two forks shred into bite size pieces and return to the slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Divide the cooked chicken mixture evenly between 8 ramekins (8-10 ounce size).
- Open the biscuit tube and separate 8 biscuits. Using your hands or rolling pin, flatten biscuit dough to form a round the same size as the top of the ramekins.
- Place a biscuit dough round on top of each ramekin and using a knife cut a few slits in the dough.
- Place the ramekins on a sheet pan and bake for 9-12 minutes, until the dough is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before serving.
*I love to serve the biscuits on the top but some people prefer them served on the side or just skipped. For this recipe I used refrigerated buttermilk biscuits.
** To reduce fat and calories, use unsalted 80 calorie per tablespoon margarine instead of butter.
Keywords: chicken,dinner,chicken pot pie,biscuits