Smooth and spicy, Savory Chocolate Barbecue Chicken is smothered in a rich sauce made with dark chocolate, cumin, cider vinegar, brown sugar and a splash of coffee. A complex sauce paired with chicken for an undeniably different and delicious taste!
- 2 pounds chicken thighs, bone-in, skin-on
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- salt and pepper for seasoning chicken
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cloves minced garlic, about 1 teaspoon
- 1-1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/4 cup brewed coffee
- 1.58 ounce Forte Chocolates 71% Chocolate bar
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1-1/2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 16 ounces whole white mushrooms, cleaned and stems trimmed (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Grease a 9 x 13 baking baking pan, or similar size, with oil.
- Place chicken thighs, in a single layer and skin side up, in pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake in preheated 375 degree oven for 50 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat until shimmering.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute until golden brown and fragrant.
- Add tomato sauce, brown sugar, coffee, brown sugar, honey, vinegar, cocoa powder, worcestershire sauce, onion powder, dry mustard, chili powder, salt, pepper, paprika and cayenne to the saucepan. Stir to combine. Bring just to boiling, then reduce heat to simmer, stirring constantly, about 5 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and add chocolate. Stir while chocolate is melting. Set aside.
- When chicken has been cooking for 50 minutes, remove from the oven and pour off extra fat. Use a silicone brush to coat thighs with barbecue sauce. Return to 375 oven for 5 minutes to allow barbecue sauce to caramelize. Repeat a second time for a total cooking time of 60 minutes.
- Chicken is done when instant read thermometer reads 165 degrees when placed in thickest part of thigh.
- Serve warm.
Adding mushrooms – at 40 minutes of oven cooking time, place clean, trimmed mushrooms around the chicken in the baking pan. Cook alongside chicken for final 20 minutes, basting with chicken juices and brushing with barbecue sauce as desired. Serve with chicken.
Keywords: chicken, barbecue chicken, chocolate barbecue sauce, chocolate