Perfect Pound Cake is buttery and sweet, with a hint of vanilla. This cake is rich, with the flavor of shortbread cookies, but is still light as a feather. Serve with fresh whipped cream and berries as a fancy dessert or brunch dish – can also be made ahead and frozen.
- 3–1/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 pound (3 sticks) unsalted butter (softened to room temperature)
- 6 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk (I use 1% milk)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat your oven to 325 F. Grease and flour a 12 cup bundt cake pan.
- In a large mixing bowl add the butter and sugar. On medium speed using a paddle attachment or hand mixer, cream the butter and sugar for about 5 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time into the mixer, set to medium speed. Beat for 45 seconds after each egg.
- Add the vanilla to the mixture and beat an additional 30 seconds.
- In a medium bowl,measure out the flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg.
- At low speed, add 1/2 of the dry ingredients to the butter and egg mixture, and beat until just blended. Then add 1/2 the milk and with the mixer still on low, beat the milk in until just blended. Scrape the sides of the bowl with a spatula between mixing in the dry ingredients and the milk. Repeat the process with the remaining half of the dry ingredients and the milk.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and fill no more than 2/3 full. Smooth the top with a spoon or spatula.
- Place the pan into the 325 F preheated oven and bake for 85 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean and the cake is just starting to pull away from the sides.
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool about 15 minutes before inverting and removing the cake from the pan. Allow to cool before serving.
1% milk was used in this recipe, whole or 2% may be substituted
Keywords: pound cake