Prep this tasty blueberry streusel french toast casserole the night before for crunch topped next-day breakfast or brunch dish!
For The French Toast
- 1 whole loaf french bread
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 10 eggs
- 8 ounce block cream cheese, cubed
- 2–1/4 cups 2% milk
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
For the Streusel Topping
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, cold cubed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon peel (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 9 x 13 or similar size baking dish.
- Cut bread into 1-1/2 inch cubes. Add to baking dish. Tuck blueberries and cream cheese cubes around the bread cubes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, brown sugar, cinnamon and vanilla until frothy. Pour over bread cubes to soak. Press down on bread with the back of a spoon to help absorb egg mixture. Set aside for 10 minutes to allow egg to absorb.
- In a small bowl, using pastry blender or fork, combine flour, brown sugar, butter, cinnamon and lemon until resembles large crumbs. Sprinkle streusel mixture evenly over the bread cubes, covering the entire top.
- Cover dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 30 minutes until bread is puffed and streusel is golden.
- Let the pan sit for a few minutes before serving with additional berries and warm maple syrup.
- Follow instructions for making french toast and streusel. Cover and refrigerate separately until ready to bake.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Remove prepped french toast and streusel from refrigerator and allow to sit on counter for 10-15 minutes. Sprinkle streusel mixture over french toast right before baking. Bake according to instructions.
Keywords: overnight french toast blueberry