Fresh Strawberries and cream bring rich flavor to this easy Oven Strawberry French Toast recipe. Perfect make ahead recipe for breakfast or brunch!
- 1 loaf Italian bread, day old loaf
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups milk, 2% or whole
- 2 TBSP granulated sugar
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 tsp fresh lemon zest (optional)
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Start by gathering your ingredients. If you are baking this dish right away, preheat the oven to 375°. Grease or spray a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Use a sharp knife to slice the bread into 16 slices. Discard or save the ends to use in another dish.
- Arrange the bread slices in the baking pan. Tuck strawberries slices between and around the bread.
- Whisk together the eggs, cream, milk, sugar, lemon zest, almond extract and salt until well combined.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bread slices, to coat. Most of the mix will be absorbed by the bread but it’s okay if a little is in the bottom of the pan. Press down on the top of the bread to help the egg absorb. Let the egg mixture absorb into the bread for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Bake on the center rack of the oven for 45 -55 minutes until the bread is firm when gently pressed and the top is crispy and golden. If it feels soft, keep baking, checking every 5 minutes until done.
- Serve with extra berries, whipped cream and strawberry syrup.
*If you are making this the night before, cover the pan with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for up to 12 hours. Let the pan stand on the counter while you are heating the oven to 375°.
Store leftovers tightly covered in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days OR Freeze tightly wrapped in foil or in a freezer bag for up to 1 month.
If using dried lemon zest instead of fresh, reduce amount to 1/8 teaspoon of dried lemon peel.
Keywords: oven strawberry french toast