Dripping with tangy sauce and loaded with Beef, Italian sausage and Bacon, this Meat Lovers Skillet Baked Beans is both comfort food and a satisfying meaty meal.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound mild Italian Sausage
- 7 slices thick cut bacon
- 2 (28 ounce) cans baked beans in sauce
- 1 medium yellow onion, small diced
- 1 TBSP minced garlic
- 1 TBSP vegetable oil or bacon drippings
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 TBSP molasses
- 1/4 cup pickled banana pepper slices (from jar) and 2 TBSP of the brine
- 1 TBSP cider vinegar
- 2 TBSP ketchup
- 1/4 cup BBQ sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large oven-proof skillet, cook the bacon halfway thru. It should be soft, but starting to crisp. Remove to paper towel lined plate. Set aside.
- Pour the bacon grease off the skillet, leaving about 1 TBSP grease in the bottom of the skillet.
- Over medium high heat, cook the onions until soft, then add the garlic. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the ground beef and sausage to the pan with the onions and cook until browned thru. Drain off any grease as needed. Remove the skillet from heat.
- Add the beans, brown sugar, molasses, banana pepper, brine, vinegar. ketchup and BBQ sauce to the skillet. Stir to combine.
- Place the bacon slices on top of the bean and meat mixture in an even layer.
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes, or until the beans are bubbly and the bacon is crisp.
Note: Distilled vinegar may be substituted for cider vinegar.
Note: Honey can be substituted for the molasses, light brown sugar can be used instead of dark brown, whatever you prefer or have on hand.
Keywords: dinner,baked beans,beans,bacon,beef,skillet