Italian Sausage Bean and Tomato Bake is a weeknight winner! With crackling sausage, creamy northern beans, juicy tomatoes and a sprinkling of Italian seasoning.
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 pound mild Italian sausage
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 TBSP fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- pinch of cayenne pepper*
- 2 (15 ounce) cans Great Northern Beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1–1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat large oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Add oil and sausages, browning on all sides, about 10 minutes. Remove sausages to a plate.
- Add garlic and parsley leaves to skillet and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Then gently stir in the beans ,red wine, Italian seasoning and cayenne and allow to simmer for 1 minute. Remove the skillet from heat.
- Stir the chicken broth, cherry tomatoes, salt and pepper into the bean mixture. Top the beans with the sausages, pushing the sausages down into the beans.
- Transfer the skillet to the preheated oven and bake until the sausages are fully cooked, (165 degrees on a meat thermometer) or about 10 minutes.
- Garnish with additional parsley and serve warm.
*I like food that is pretty spicy, but if you like less heat, then omit the cayenne from the recipe