Grandma’s Real Southern Baked Beans is down home southern cooking at it’s best – made with ingredients like bacon, roasted red pepper, molasses, brown sugar, and cider vinegar – this recipe will stay at the top of your list of favorites! They are even better when made ahead!
- 1 medium yellow onion, small diced
- 8 thick sliced bacon pieces
- 1 roasted red pepper from the jar, about 1/3 cup small diced
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar or plain distilled vinegar
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp dry mustard
- 2 TBSP molasses
- 2 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 2 15 oz cans great northern beans,drained
- 4 28 oz cans pork and beans, not drained, use all of the included liquid
- Start by preheating the oven to 325 degrees. Then heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the bacon to the hot skillet and fry the bacon until it is almost crisp. Transfer the bacon to a plate and cut the slices in half.
- DO NOT pour out the bacon grease. In the same skillet you used for the bacon, fry the onions, stirring them around in the bacon grease until tender, about 3 minutes. Drain off most of the fat from the onions and set the skillet aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the cans of great northern beans and the pork and beans. To the beans add the cooked onion and bacon, and the remaining ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Pour the bean mixture into a very large baking dish, or two 9 x 13 foil baking pans. Place the pans on the center rack of the oven and bake for 1 -1/2 hours. Cool the beans slightly before serving.
Add in sliced jalapeno or banana peppers to taste if you want spicy beans.
Keywords: Baked Beans,bacon,side dish,dinner,barbecue,picnic