Salted Chewy Caramels are easy to make little bites of sweet vanilla comfort. Buttery and soft – great for wrapping individually or using in recipes!
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
- 2 1/4 cups light brown sugar
- 1 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Grease a 9 x 7 or similar size pan. Line with parchment, then grease again, to easily remove the cooled caramel. Leave an overhang of paper on the side to act as handles.
- Add all of the ingredients except the vanilla and sea salt to a medium heavy saucepan.
- Slowly bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly until a candy thermometer reaches 234 -240 degrees F. This will take about 10 – 15 minutes. large bubbles will form at the edges of the pot.
- Cook, still stirring constantly for 2 minutes at 234 -240 degrees F.
- Remove from the heat and immediately stir in the vanilla.
- Pour into the prepared pan and allow to cool and firm up. Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Cut into bite size pieces and wrap in wax paper.
Chilling the caramel will make it easier to cut. Place the pan in the refrigerator for 20 minutes, remove the caramel using parchment handles. Use a sharp knife to cut into pieces.
If using this caramel for another recipe, omit the final sea salt step.
Keywords: caramel, chewy caramel, salted caramel, candy, dessert