Make this show stopping Holiday Panettone this season by dressing up a traditional cake with pineapple and rum whipped cream!
- 1 26 ounce Panettone
- 1 20 ounce can crushed pineapple, well drained
- 1–1/2 cups heavy whipped cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 – 2 tablespoons dark rum (or 1 tsp vanilla for non-alcoholic)
- candied cherries and pineapple for garnish
- Remove paper from sides and bottom of Panettone. Lay cake on its side and cut into 5 (1-inch) thick rounds with a bread knife. Keep the layers in order. The final layer will be the cake dome. Set aside.
- Add the heavy cream to a medium bowl. Using a hand mixer, whip the cream until soft peaks form. Stir in the powdered sugar and rum. Continue to beat with the mixer until firm peaks form.
- Fold the crushed pineapple into the whipped cream until well distributed. Set aside.
ASSEMBLE THE CAKE
- Build the cake starting with the original bottom layer.
- Place the layer, cut side up, on a serving plate. Use a spatula to spread about 1/5 of the whipped cream mixture over the entire layer. Place next cake layer on top of whipped cream and repeat until all the layers have been used. The top layer should be the cake dome.
- Decorate the top of the cake with cherries and pineapple set into the whipped cream.
- Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate up to 1 day ahead.
Drain the pineapple by pouring into a sieve over a bowl. Press on the pineapple to remove as much juice as possible. Save juice for another use.
Keywords: Panettone, Layer Cake, Christmas Cake, Holiday Cake, Christmas Bread, Italian Bread, Italian Dessert