Savory Butternut Squash Bean Soup is a savory protein-packed blend of butternut squash, white beans, chickpeas and couscous. Warm, comforting and so tasty this will be a favorite family soup.
- 3 cups butternut squash, cut into bite-size pieces (about 1/2 medium squash)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 6 cups low sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon vegetable or chicken soup base* (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 15 ounce can white beans, drained
- 1 15 ounce can chickpeas, drained
- 1/2 cup whole-grain couscous, cooked according to package directions
- 1/4 cup roasted almond slices
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper
- extra almonds and parsley for garnish
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add squash, stir and cook covered for 8 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a large dutch oven or soup pot over medium high heat.
- Add onions and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir onions occasionally.
- Add garlic and cook an additional 1 minute.
- Add broth, soup base, thyme and cooked squash to the dutch oven and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer.
- In the can or a bowl, slightly mash the white beans with a fork. Add to the pot with the chickpeas.
- Continue simmering for additional 5 minutes.
- Salt and pepper the soup to taste.
- Fluff the cooked couscous, and fold in the almonds and parsley.
- Ladle hot soup into bowls, top each with 1/4 cup of couscous mixture.
- Garnish with additional almonds and parsley. Serve hot.
To add extra flavor, add 1 teaspoon (or more) jarred vegetable or chicken soup base. Soup base mix is high in sodium, so no other salt was included in this recipe, except to taste.
*Jarred soup base is available in the soup aisle at most grocery stores.
Keywords: soup, beans, butternut squash, white beans, chickpeas, dinner, lunch, savory