Crispy Pork Carnitas are Dutch oven baked low and slow until fall-apart delicious. So flavorful when finished under the broiler to caramelize and crisp.
- 8 pound boneless pork shoulder roast, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 orange
- 1 lime
- 2 jalapeno peppers, stemmed, seeded, sliced in half lengthwise
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and cut into quarters
- 2 green onions, cut into 2 inch lengths
- Preheat the oven to 275.
- Cut pork into large chunks, as needed, to fit into Dutch oven
- In a small bowl, mix oil, garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Rub pork pieces all over with spice mix and place pieces into Dutch oven.
- Juice orange and 1/2 of lime and pour the juice over the pork. Cut second half of lime into 4 chunks and place around the pork. Tuck prepared jalapeno and onion around pork pieces.
- Cover Dutch oven and cook on center rack of 275 degree oven for 3 – 5 hours or until internal temperature is at least 150 degrees. Remove from oven and allow meat to rest for 10 minutes in Dutch oven.
- Transfer pork to a baking sheet and shred into bite size pieces.
- Preheat oven broiler to High
- Place shredded pork on baking sheet under the broiler for 4 – 8 minutes until meat edges are browned and crispy.
- Serve warm on tortillas with your favorite toppings.
Watch the meat under the broil carefully to keep from burning.
The spices for this dish are mild. Add 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne to the rub for more heat.
Keywords: pork,carnitas,slow cook,dinner,mexican,tortillas,mexican pulled pork,pulled pork