Chewy bites of ham, velvety risotto and the subtle sweetness of corn make this Creamy Ham and Risotto a dinnertime favorite! One skillet and 30 minutes are all it takes to get this busy weeknight dish to the table!
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped (2 teaspoons)
- 3 cups uncooked Arborio rice
- 1 cup dry white wine, or chicken broth
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 8 cups chicken stock, divided
- 1 (12 ounce) bag frozen corn kernels
- 2 cups (1 pound) cubed cooked smoked ham, trimmed of any visible fat
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese (about 2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon dried chives, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a large, heavy saucepan over medium-high heat until oil is shimmering. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally for 1-2 minutes or until onion is translucent.
- Add the rice and cook, continuing to stir until rice becomes opaque, another 2 to 4 minutes. Add the wine (or broth) and stir until the liquid is absorbed, 1 – 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium.
- Add 2 cups of stock and cook, stirring until absorbed, 5 – 6 minutes. Repeat 2 more times. Add the remaining cup stock and corn and cook, stirring, until rice is tender and corn is heated thru, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in the ham and cook 1 – 2 minutes until warmed through. Remove from heat and stir in cheese until melted. Stir in chives. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately topped with additional chives.
Using wine in cooking is optional…substitute broth in this recipe if not using dry white wine.