Rich and creamy Country Ham and Potato Bake is pure southern comfort food. Delicious chunks of ham, bathed in a rich cream sauce under a melted layer of cheese is great for brunch or dinner, and this recipe can be made ahead!
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, diced small
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional for heat)
- 1–1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 2 cups 2% or whole milk
- 2 cups diced ham (I used a fully cooked, spiral sliced smoked ham)
- 1 1/2 pounds potatoes (about 5 cups), sliced 1/4-inch-thick
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8-by-8-inch baking dish with cooking spray or vegetable oil.
- In a skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onions and saute until almost clear, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the flour and stir until combined. Cook 1 to 2 minutes more. Add the garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper, the cayenne and mustard powder. Whisk in the milk. Allow to cook and thicken slightly, about 3 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Line the baking dish with a layer of the ham chunks, then a layer of slightly overlapping potatoes, then about 2/3 cup sauce. Repeat the layering until all the ingredients are used. You should have 3 sets of layers, ending with the sauce on top. Top with the Monterey Jack cheese and cover with foil. Bake until the potatoes are tender, about 1 hour.
- Remove the foil and switch on the broiler.. Broil until the cheese is getting bubbly and browned, about 3 minutes. Watch carefully to not allow it to burn.Garnish with parsley and allow to cool slightly before serving..
- Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/damaris-phillips/scalloped-potatoes-and-country-ham.html?oc=linkback
1. 2% milk was used for this recipe.
2. Your favorite melting cheese like Swiss or Gruyere can be substituted for the Monterey Jack.
3. For less heat, reduce the cayenne pepper to 1/4 teaspoon
Keywords: ham,scallop potatoes,cheese,baked ham, leftover