Filled with cheddar cheese, smoked sausage and hash brown potatoes, this is an easy to make family dinner. 10 minutes of prep and this dish is ready for the oven!
- 1/4 cup + 1 TBSP unsalted butter, melted
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- pinch of cayenne
- 1 (16 ounce) package smoked sausage, sliced and quartered
- 20 ounce package refrigerated hash brown potatoes
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray or grease 9 x 13 or similar size baking dish.
- In a medium skillet, melt 1 TBSP butter. Over medium-high heat, saute the onions and green pepper until tender, about 3-5 minutes. Set aside.
- In the bottom of a large bowl, mix the sour cream with paprika, salt, pepper, nutmeg and cayenne until distributed. Add the smoked sausage, potatoes, cheese, 1/4 cup melted butter and sauted vegetables to the bowl. Stir to combine.
- Spread the mixture evenly in the prepared pan. Bake 40 – 45 minutes until golden brown.
- Cool casserole 5 minutes before cutting and serving.
Regular or reduced fat sour cream can be used.
Frozen hash browns (thawed and drained) can be substituted for the refrigerated hash browns.
Keywords: potato smoked sausage casserole, hash browns