Cheddar Bacon Strata is a savory bread pudding or cake made with just 5 simple ingredients. Eggs, Bacon, cheese, bread and milk are all you need to make this delicious and gorgeous Strata that is perfect anytime you need to feed a crowd.
- 1 loaf Italian or French Bread
- 7 eggs
- 1–1/2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 12 oz bacon, diced
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the bacon in a skillet on the stove, reserving 2 tablespoons of the raw diced bacon for later.. Set the raw 2 tablespoons of bacon aside. Cook the remaining bacon in the skillet until crisp, then drain on paper towel.
- Cut the loaf of bread into 1 inch cubes, place into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the bacon and 1-1/2 cups of the cheese to the mixing bowl with the bread.Reserve the other 1/2 cup of cheese for later.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the milk and eggs until blended. Add the salt and pepper. Pour the mixture over the bread, bacon and cheese, evenly soaking the bread. Using a spatula, fold the bread mixture over until most of the egg mixture is absorbed. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow the bread to absorb all of the egg mixture.
- Spray a springform pan with cooking spray. Set the pan on a baking sheet.
- Pour the bread and egg mixture into the pan, then top with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese and raw bacon.
- Cover loosely with foil and bake on a baking sheet for 30 minutes, until firm in the center when pushed.
- Turn on the broiler and broil until all of the cheese is melted and bubbling and the bacon is crisp.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for at least 10 minutes before removing outer ring of the pan.
- Serve warm.
1. Cubed bread will measure about 7 cups.
2.Substitute any other favorite melting cheese for the cheddar, like Gouda, Monterey Jack or Swiss.
3.If you don’t want to make this in a springform pan, use a 9 x 13 baking dish. Also, you can mix the bread and egg mixture straight into the baking dish instead of in a ziplock bag. The ziplock bag is used to prevent egg mixture from leaking from the springform pan while it is set aside.