Swap out the carbs in this healthier version of Cauliflower Mac and Cheese. So creamy and cheesy, this dish is just as tasty without the pasta.
- 2 medium heads cauliflower, cut in florets ( 8 – 10 cups)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme flakes
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup freshly grated Swiss cheese
- 1 cup freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Position rack in middle of oven. Butter a 9 x 13 baking dish. Set aside.
- Place cauliflower in microwave safe bowl(s), add 1/4 cup water, cover tightly with plastic wrap and microwave on high for 7 minutes, until cauliflower is just starting to soften. Remove from microwave, allow to cool slightly and drain. Set aside.
- In a large dutch oven, melt 1/2 cup butter over medium-high heat. Add garlic and thyme, cook for 1 minute or until garlic is fragrant.
- Add the flour and cook until lightly browned, about 1 – 2 minutes.
- Whisk in milk, salt, mustard, hot sauce, black pepper, and nutmeg. Stir constantly until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cheeses until melted.
- Fold the cauliflower into the cheese mixture until coated.
- Transfer cauliflower to prepared baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the bread crumbs and melted butter until bread crumbs are moistened. Sprinkle bread crumb mixture over cauliflower. Place baking dish on a sheet pan and place on middle rack of oven.
- Bake until edges are bubbling, 20 – 25 minutes.
- Serve hot.
I used 2% milk, but whole milk can be used
Tobasco is the hot sauce I used for this recipe
Gruyere may be subtituted for the grated Swiss Cheese