An easy make-ahead french toast breakfast or brunch that everyone will love!
- 1 loaf Italian Bread
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/3 cup blackberry jam
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1–1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375°. Butter or spray a large baking dish.
- Cut bread loaf into 16 even slices. Reserve loaf ends for another use.
- In a small bowl, using a hand mixer, beat cream cheese, powdered sugar and lemon zest until smooth.
- On one side of bread, spread 8 slices with cream cheese mixture then spread remaining 8 bread slices with jam. Place jam spread slices onto cream cheese slices, like you are making a sandwich.
- Fit bread slices into baking dish; covering bottom of dish.
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, milk, cinnamon, vanilla, salt and sugar until frothy.
- Pour egg mixture over bread in dish. Turn bread slices so all are covered in egg mixture. Leave remaining egg mixture in bottom of dish. Let sit for 15 minutes to allow custard to absorb.
- *Alternative method – soak bread, leaving jam and cream cheese slices together, in egg mixture then arrange in baking pan. Pour any remaining egg mixture over slices in pan.
- Cover pan and refrigerate up to 12 hours if not baking right away.
- Place pan on center rack of oven and bake for 45 – 55 minutes, until golden brown on top and bread slices are cooked thru. Lightly press on top of bread, if firm then dish is done.
- If center is still soft, keep baking, covering with foil to prevent excessive browning, until firm.
- Allow to cool slightly before cutting. Serve with additional cream cheese mixture, fresh blackberries and maple syrup.
Use 2% or whole milk for best results
Double the cream cheese mixture and reserve 1/2 to serve with the baked french toast.
Keywords: Blackberry French Toast