A delicious side dish for any occasion – this Green Bean Mustard Sauce Casserole recipe is easy to make with real cream and approved by kids!
- 4 pounds fresh green beans, cut into 2 inch pieces, approx. 12 cups
- 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup vegetable or chicken broth
- 1–1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon stone ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup french fried onions
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9 x 13 baking or similar size dish. Set aside.
- Fill a large pot (10 quart) 3/4 full of water. Add green beans and bring water to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer green beans for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and drain.
- In a large skillet, heat butter or olive oil over medium-high heat until shimmering.
- Add garlic to the pan and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add broth and heat until simmering.
- Reduce heat to medium and add heavy cream, Dijon and Stone Ground mustard, lemon juice and pepper to the pan.
- Stir and bring mixture to a low boil. Keep stirring until sauce begins to thicken.
- Pour sauce over drained green beans and stir to coat. Transfer to baking dish.
- Sprinkle fried onions over green beans.
- Bake in 350° oven, uncovered, for 30 minutes and edges of pan start to bubble.
- Remove from oven and serve.
- Store leftover tightly covered in refrigerator for up to one week.