Make a ginger Cherry Vanilla Pudding Parfait with this easy recipe. Ginger brings out the flavor of Vanilla and makes this dessert!
VANILLA PUDDING PARFAIT with cherries
Just when I thought that vanilla pudding could not be more…well vanilla, I stumbled upon something that changed my mind. Last week I was following a store recipe on making a crumb topping for grilled fruit using Ginger Snaps.
The topping was awesome, but the recipe made way too much for the amount of fruit I grilled. I was going to write about the grilled fruit but it had turned to mush on the grill so it was a total bust. Anyway, the ginger snap crumbs were so good that I ate them off the fruit and saved the rest for later.
I decided to make a pudding parfait and use the crumbs for a layer between the pudding and fruit. The ginger flavor completely enhances the taste of vanilla pudding. I would not believe it if I hadn’t tasted it for myself!
Ingredients to make Vanilla Pudding Parfait
- Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix – we love regular vanilla pudding, but French vanilla, white chocolate and cheesecake flavors are delicious too.
- Milk – whole or 2% milk is best. Skim or not milk is not recommended because the pudding may not set .
- Gingersnap Cookies – packaged, store bought variety. No need to make your own for this easy recipe.
- Cherry Pie Filling – we love the kind from the can with no sugar added.
- Butter – unsalted butter lets the cook control how much salt is in the recipe. It’s the only kind we buy.
- Granulated Sugar – just plain white sugar.
- Whipped Topping – it’s optional, but we used frozen non-dairy whipped topping to garnish our parfaits. You can make your own from whipping cream or use the kind from the refrigerated can to make fancy swirls!
More Individual Dessert Recipes
Vanilla Pudding Cherry Parfait
Click highlighted ingredients to buy them!
- 3.4 ounce instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1-3/4 cup milk, 2%
- 21 ounce Cherry Pie filling, canned
- 25 Ginger Snaps
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/8 tsp Almond Extract, optional
- Whipped Topping or Whipped cream, optional
- Sliced almonds for garnish, optional
- In medium bowl, whisk pudding mix and milk until mixture starts to thicken. Set aside, do not refrigerate yet
- In a small bowl, crush the ginger snap cookies into crumbs, or use a food processor. Add the butter and sugar and mix thoroughly. Set aside, reserving 1/4 cup of crumbs for garnish
- Pour the can of pie filling into a small bowl, add 1/8 teaspooon Almond Extract. Stir to blend, set aside.
- Into 6 small parfait glasses, assemble the dessert. Put a scant tablepoon of ginger snap crumbs into the bottom of each glass. Spoon 2 tablespoons of vanilla pudding on top of crumbs. Add 2 tablespoons of cherry pie filling on top of pudding. Continue this process in all 6 glasses until the crumbs,pudding and pie filling have all been used.
- Chill for 1 hour until pudding is set.
- Garnish parfaits with reserved crumbs, whipped cream and almond slices (optional)
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING
© Copyright Christine Mello for Must Love Home. We would love for you to share a link to this recipe but please do not copy/paste the recipe instructions to websites or social media. We are happy for you to share a photo with a link back to this website instead.